Cornwall is most popular destination for relocation
New research reveals homeowners choose Cornwall as ideal place to live
There is yet more worrying news for Cornish residents. Aside from the flock of people taking to the seaside for day trips, research reveals that it is the number one place in the UK to relocate, as people consider life after lockdown.
Nearly a quarter of UK adults (24%) are considering relocating in the next couple of years, according to new research from online mortgage broker Trussle, as house hunting becomes a top lockdown pastime.¹
Of the 2,000 surveyed, 17% revealed they have been spending their time in isolation searching on property websites.² The highest percentages looking to relocate are, somewhat unsurprisingly, those living in the UK’s biggest cities including London, Birmingham, and Manchester, with over 41% of Londoners planning their next move within two years.³
Interestingly, younger adults (aged 18-34 years) seem undeterred by big city life with 22% aiming to relocate to London rather than away.⁴ The older generation (55+) are the least likely to consider a move at all, with only 12%⁵ looking to relocate, instead focusing on sprucing up their current home and garden (34%).⁶
The overwhelming reason for a relocation is to have more space, with over a quarter (27%), citing this as being prompted by lockdown.⁷ This is followed by being closer to family (19%), farther away from other people (16%) and the opportunity to have a garden (13%).⁸
The countryside (28%), living by the sea (27%) and being closer to woodlands (16%) are also top of the agenda for house hunters since lockdown has been put in place, as the so-called ‘rural renaissance’ takes hold.⁹
Cornwall is the most popular destination when it comes to relocation for 35-54 year olds (18%), closely followed by Devon (14%), Lake District (13%), Yorkshire (11%), and Dorset (10%).¹⁰
Miles Robinson, Head of Mortgages at Trussle comments, “It comes as no surprise that homeowners and would-be buyers are looking for a different way of life after lockdown. Our research shows that nearly a quarter of adults are hoping to relocate in the next couple of years, and estate agents have seen a big increase in enquiries about out of city locations during the last few weeks.¹¹
Many will be considering a move away from the big cities to get more for their money. The lockdown has resulted in a noticeable shift to the desire for more rural living - especially as remote working becomes the norm for many.”
TOP TEN MOST POPULAR DESTINATIONS FOR RELOCATION¹²
5. Lake District
8. Peak District
To read more on the most popular places to relocate to in the UK visit Trussle.com
– ENDS –
Notes to editors
For further information, please contact:
Katie Halfhead at Trussle: [email protected]
Emily Coyle or Jake Hervin at Threepipe: [email protected]
We’ve taken extra care to ensure the information provided within this release is presented in a way that’s compliant with regulatory requirements. If you have any questions about how to repurpose this information or require any further assistance, please contact Katie Halfhead at Trussle.
Trussle conducted research online with 2,003 UK adults aged 18+ weighted to be nationally representative between 22-26 May 2020, using insight agency, Opinium.
1. Calculation: 483 respondents answered ‘Yes, I am thinking of relocating’ when asked: ‘Are you currently thinking about relocating in the next few years? This can be moving to a new house in a different city, region or country.’
483 of 2003 respondents = 24%
2. Calculation: 2003 respondents were asked: ‘During your time in lockdown have you spent any of your time searching online for the following? Please select all that apply’
344 selected property website (Rightmove, Zoopla etc.)
344 of 2003 respondents = 17%
3. 108 respondents based in London answered ‘Yes, I am thinking of relocating’ when asked ‘Are you currently thinking about relocating in the next few years? This can be moving to a new house in a different city, region or country’
108 of 263 respondents based in London = 41%
4. Calculation: 124 respondents, aged 18-34, answered ‘London’ when asked: ‘Thinking about specific locations, which places would you ideally like to relocate to? Please select all that apply.’
124 of 562 respondents aged 18-34 = 22%
5. Calculation: 92 respondents, aged 55 years+, answered ‘‘Yes, I am thinking of relocating’ when asked: ‘Are you currently thinking about relocating in the next few years? This can be moving to a new house in a different city, region or country.’
92 of 770 respondents aged 55 years+ = 12%
6. Calculation: 264 respondents, aged 55 years+ were asked: ‘During your time in lockdown have you spent any of your time searching online for the following? Please select all that apply.’
110 selected affordable ideas for the garden
98 selected garden furniture
34 selected affordable home design ideas
18 selected houses/interior designs on Pinterest
4 selected interior design instagram accounts
264 of 770 respondents aged 55 years+ = 34%
7. Calculation: 132 respondents answered ‘To have more space’ when asked: ‘Which of the following are the main reasons why you are considering relocation? Please select all that apply.’
132 of 483 respondents considering relocation = 27%
8. Calculation: When asked: ‘Which of the following are the main reasons why you are considering relocation? Please select all that apply.’
92 respondents of 483 considering relocation selected: To be closer to family = 19%
79 respondents of 483 considering relocation selected: To be further away from people = 16%
64 respondents of 483 considering relocation selected: So I can have a garden = 13%
9. Calculation: When asked: ‘Ideally where would you consider relocating to? Please select all that apply.’
556 respondents selected: The countryside = 28%
533 respondents selected: Closer to the sea = 27%
314 respondents selected: Somewhere with more woodland/park space = 16%
10. Calculation: 671 respondents, aged 35-54 years were asked: ‘Thinking about specific locations, which places would you ideally like to relocate to? Please select all that apply.’
122 respondents aged 35-54 years selected Cornwall = 18%
97 respondents aged 35-54 years selected Devon = 14%
86 respondents aged 35-54 years selected Lake District = 13%
77 respondents aged 35-54 years selected Yorkshire = 11%
64 respondents aged 35-54 years selected Dorset = 10%
12. When asked: ‘Thinking about specific locations, which places would you ideally like to relocate to? Please select all that apply.’
282 of all respondents selected: Cornwall
227 of all respondents selected: Devon
205 of all respondents selected: Yorkshire
202 of all respondents selected: Lake District
178 of all respondents selected: London
168 of all respondents selected: Dorset
145 of all respondents selected: Scotland
142 of all respondents selected: Peak District
127 of all respondents selected: Wales
111 of all respondents selected: Norfolk
Trussle helps people love their journey of owning a home. We’re your free online mortgage broker, helping you wherever you are on the ladder.
See how much you could borrow or save in minutes. Whether you're looking at homes for the first time, or you're looking to remortgage for the fourth time. Our quick online calculators will help you take the next step on your home ownership journey.
Say goodbye to paperwork, long phone calls, and being left out of the loop. Say hello to a quick, jargon-free, personal service that you can access from anywhere at any time. We’ll help you find and secure your mortgage entirely online.
Relax while we ensure you're always on the right deal. We compare your mortgage with the latest deals on the market every day, and we’ll alert you the moment it's time to switch to a more suitable deal. That way, you'll never pay more than you should to own your home.
Did we mention that our service is completely free? Join Trussle to see where your home ownership journey could take you.
In September 2016 Trussle launched an industry-first partnership with online property portal Zoopla, making it possible to find and buy a home in one seamless experience. Trussle is backed by some of Europe's leading technology investors including Orange Growth Capital, LocalGlobe, Ed Wray (founder of Betfair), Ian Hogarth (founder of Songkick), Seedcamp, and Zoopla Property Group.
Trussle is a trading style of Trussle Lab Ltd, which is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
More information can be found at https://trussle.com/
Trussle’s press pack is available here